Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Crime Won't Stop The Work

We woke up this morning and discovered we had been robbed! My computer was missing... then I realized my computer bag with flash drives, batteries and computer and camera cables was missing. Hey, where's my camera? It's gone too! The crushing blow came when I discovered that my external hard drive was gone with all my backup files. What a heart break that our pictures are all gone... except those that are on the blog.

We were blessed that all the robbers wanted was the newer electronic equipment - my computer and camera. Marlene's computer, the printer, car keys, money was all safe Most importantly, we were safe! We feel so blessed. It could have been worse.  We are recovering information and settling our emotions, but we will recover and move on. 

Last night we went to a great district Cultural Event for the youth and had a wonderful time. I had lots of pictures to share, but they are all gone with the thief. We were amazed at the creativity and excitement of the youth just gathering together. Each branch put on a skit with no more props than colored paper, crepe paper and cardboard. The skits portrayed challenges that the youth experience staying faithful and striving to go to the temple. It was very moving to feel their faith, testimony, and commitment to the Lord. The wonderful thing was it was not the leaders that did it... it was the youth that developed the ideas and wrote the script, choreographed the dancing, and made the props! It took them about three weeks to pull it all together. We were so proud of them. After the skits there was a fashion show of costumes made of newspaper... simply amazing what they can do with a newspaper. Then there was an International fashion show with costumes representing other nations. The costumes were beautiful, but not as beautiful as the youth that were modeling them. After the fashion shows there was a dance for all the youth. What a fun event and it all ended with a closing hymn and a prayer.

We are blessed in so many ways. We love serving these wonderful people and are lifted and blessed by them in return.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear Brother and Sister.....I am so saddened by the news of the robbery and burglary, such a heartbreak and so sad. How I wish there was something I could do to restore your loss. I can perhaps make a small donation towards replacing your equipment. Did you have any insurance that would cover any of the loss? I am just sick over the loss but on the other hand I am so, so grateful for your well being and safety. You are in my prayers and I admire your efforts so much.

    I was thrilled with your encounter with Elder Holland. What a wonderful blessing and confirmation of God's love and awareness. Wow.....that would buoy me up for weeks. What a wonderful experience.

    Rick's mother died October 13th or so and they had her funeral the 25th in New Mexico. Rick and Preston flew down for the services.

    We looked at buying Penelli's house but I guess they will just rent it instead of selling.~ we'll just see what the Lord comes up with!

    I will write more late. I am so grateful you are all okay. I miss you terribly but it is so comforting knowing you are in the service of our Lord. I love you, janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim and Marlene!

    Such bad news about the computer! I'm glad you've posted so many things here. I'm sure you know this already, but I've been using MOZY as a daily online back up service. It's saved my bacon more than once. Just a couple of weeks ago, a teacher spilled her water on my computer and I lost the whole thing - all my teaching files and Grey's mission pictures. The works. But I was able to get it all back from the online service. It's only a few dollars a month. Might be worth a look.
    Grey got home last week. What a thrill! So glad you're doing well.

    Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete