Sunday, November 27, 2011

Haircut Time

Today is Monday, Preparation Day for missionaries and that means a haircut for me today. I go to Arto on main street. You can't miss it. It's where everyone that is anyone in town goes for a haircut. You see the police there and the presidents of local organizations and a lot of retired men that are all connected by friendships of years gone by. I fit into the mix mainly because I have long grey hair and need a haircut.

This is Arto's barber shop. I was standing in the traffic filled street to take this shot. I'll have to add another picture from across the street so you can get the feel of open air, traffic, marketplace and people.

 I was here this morning a minute after 10:00 and had one person ahead of me. I got the man waiting to take a picture of me in the chair. Arto uses his scissors like a true professional and keeps everything sharp and clean.

 A self-portrait in the chair. Arto keeps focused on his work.

 Tools of the trade: fan for the hot days (everyday), rubbing alcohol, baby talc and brush for a dry off after the haircut. The electric converter to power the US made electric clippers in the drawer (used very sparingly, maybe 30-45 seconds) and a sharp razor and scissors also in the drawer.

 Another great haircut from Arto! Most haircuts cost 40 pesos (94 cents), but Arto charges 60 pesos ($1.40) and it is well worth it!
 I'll really miss this experience when we return.

 A few days before this Mom got her hair cut at the chapel after a zone conference. Sister Cooper is a senior sister from Australia. She works at the Employment Resource Center in Dagupan and has offered to cut the sisters hair, so mom took advantage of the offer. She has cut mom's hair a couple of times and it has worked out just fine.

There was a lot of hair blowing around the room and I was a little nervous how mom would feel about the haircut. But not to worry... it turned out just fine. The question now is... Who will cut mom's hair when Sister Cooper goes home at the end of January?

This picture was before my haircut and after mom's. This is Sister Eldredge. She left for home, Sandy Utah, today. We will miss her. She was a very strong sister missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment