We were told it would take 2 hours to travel to San Fernando, but we arrived an hour early because there was no traffic at 5:00 AM when we were traveling. We met with the President Jensen and helped setup chairs a bit and mingled with the saints that were gathering and took a few pictures. We received clear instructions not to take any pictures of the visiting authorities... but we did get one picture of them with the mission. They took time to shake hands with all that attended every meeting and our highlight was the apostolic blessing that Elder Holland pronounced upon all present and their families at home.
The San Fernando Chapel where we met with Elders Holland and Callister.
The courtyard where the Baguio Mission group picture was taken later in the day.
The chapel that was filled with leaders for the morning meeting and with missionaries for another meeting in the afternoon. The Single Adults were privileged to be taught by Elder Callister on scripture study in an evening meeting.
Our wives got comfortable in the cultural hall to eavesdrop on the Priesthood Leadership meeting.
The cultural hall was beautifully arranged for lunch after the 4-hour leadership meeting. Many of the brethren will have 2-3 hours to travel to get home.
A wonderful lunch was served to the leaders after the morning meeting. Mom and I were in charge of providing 200 sack lunches for all of the missionaries when they returned home after their meeting.
The Baguio Mission with Elder Holland. Front row Sister Callister, Elder Callister and Elder Holland, Elder Teh (Area President). We were invited to sit right behind the honored guests and next to President and Sister Jensen (mission president)
It was a beautiful experience to meet with the brethren and receive their instruction.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
As I mentioned above, we hosted Elder and Sister Holland and their traveling companions in Cairo for the better part of a week. I knew that Elder Holland meets many people all around the world everyday and probably wouldn't remember me and our brief work together in the Middle East, so I had no expectations. During the first meeting I smiled and studied Elder Holland's face, remembering our experiences we shared together. During a break in our 4 hour meeting, I was crossing from one side of the courtyard to the other to get back into the chapel, when out of nowhere a big arm reached around my shoulders grabbed me and squeezed me tight... I looked up, right into the smiling face of Elder Holland. "What are you doing here, elder? When did they let you out of the Middle East?", he asked. I reached for words to respond and said, "We got home, saw the family and felt an urgency to return to serve another mission." He responded, "Lord bless you brother!" He was anxious to introduce me to Elder Callister. We exchanged greetings and I expressed my appreciation for his marvelous book "The Infinite Atonement". I said it would be a life study, thank you. We all moved to return to the chapel to continue the second half of the meeting and my experience was over as quickly as it had begun. I returned to my seat and pondered how I felt, that the Lord knew me and was mindful of my service because Elder Holland, the Lord's Special Witness, had remembered me. It was a sweet feeling of comfort, peace and joy that gave me assurance that the Lord is mindful of our service here in the Philippines, in the middle of the rice fields among a very humble people. I know that He is aware of each of his children no matter where they are in the world and he loves them all and will answer their prayers. I marvel at that reality. I testify it's true.









Thank you for your uplifting, inspiring posts! Praying for you!
ReplyDelete