“What brings me to you today is not a message of reformation but of restoration,”
he said, “the restoration of that church Christ established by His hand
in the meridian of time and which He has reestablished by His hand in
this present time.”
Through this restoration,
doctrines about the nature of God, Christ’s
ministry and God’s plan for His children were reemphasized and
clarified.
Elder Holland further explained the centrality of
Christ to Church doctrine and the important distinctions between the
teachings of some Christian traditions and the Christian doctrines and
beliefs of the Latter-day Saints.
“We are not considered ‘Christian’ by some, I suppose because we are
not fourth-century Christians, we are not Athanasian Christians, we are
not creedal Christians of the brand that arose hundreds of years after
Christ,” he said. “No, when we speak of ‘restored Christianity’ we speak
of the Church as it was [before] ... great councils were called to
debate and anguish over what it was they really believed.”
"I
confess I did not believe I would live to see the day that taxi cabs in
Times Square would be scurrying about with 'taxi toppers' saying, 'See
the Book of Mormon,'" he said. "Of course our quick rejoinder has been,
'Now you have seen the show, read the book.'"
No comments:
Post a Comment