When we were leaving the apartment I stopped to see what a young man was catching with his fishing pole in a nearby marsh area. This month the rainy season really kicked in and we have noticed a lot of what looked like fishermen, fishing along the shore of the rice fields. Then I saw some kids fishing in a little ditch. There are no fish in there! Maybe they are just pretending to fish like their dads. No, they were too old and there were too many of them doing it. I stopped and asked a boy and found out they were "frogging". They have a bamboo pole with a string attached and tie a bundle of frog innards on the end of the line... no hook. They dangle the bait in areas where they think there is a frog and wait a few seconds, if there is no bite they move to a new spot. You can see the results of a half-an-hour of frogging in the boys bags. They take the frogs home and their mother cooks them for dinner. Sorry, I didn't get any recipes to share with you.
This handsome young man was the first real froggerman that I met.
He and his friends found a "hot spot" for frogs and loaded up their bags. Just two days ago all this area was under a foot of flood water when the rivers overflowed from the runoff after Typhoon Mina.
The catch of the day! You can click on the picture above and open it to enlarge it and see the frogs more clearly.
Ummm, ummm... I can just smell the frogs a cookin'! Tastes like chicken I hear.
Ummm, ummm... I can just smell the frogs a cookin'! Tastes like chicken I hear.



No comments:
Post a Comment